Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988/1989, 1993 and 2010

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended in 1989, 1993 and 2010) set levels of fire resistance for domestic upholstered furniture, furnishings and other products containing upholstery. This page is intended to give an overview of the responsibilities of companies involved in the supply of upholstered furniture and is intended to help suppliers of these products understand how the new Regulations may affect them. It is not an authoritative interpretation of the Regulations, which is a matter for the courts. The Regulations like most legislation is difficult to fully understand consequently two guides have been published to assist the lay person to understand the regulations more fully. This page provides an overview but it does not cover all the details. You should refer to the BERR and FIRA’s Guide to the Regulations for more detailed information.
The Regulations are enforced by the Trading Standards Department. If you need advice, clarification or additional information contact them by using their website, telephone or go personally to the local office which will be a department of your local Council.

Landlords Gas Safety

A landlord’s gas safety certificate, also referred to as the landlord’s gas safety record, is required by law to be held for all rental accommodation in the UK where there are gas appliances present. The requirement is enshrined in the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. The law requires all gas appliances in a rented property to be checked annually,[1] with a gas safety record being completed and a copy provided to tenants.[2][3] Gas safety records, Sometimes referred to as a CP12 (From CORGI Proforma 12 when CORGI was UK body for gas safety matters),[4] are completed by engineers who must be registered with the Gas Safe Register scheme which took over from the previousCORGI scheme in 2009

Fixed Wiring (Electrical)

Landlords and Tenant Act 1985 The Landlords and Tenants Act 1985 requires that the electrical installation in a rented property is: safe when a tenancy begins and maintained in a safe condition throughout the tenancy. The Landlords and Tenants Act 1985 makes it an implied term of every tenancy that the landlord will ‘keep in repair the structure and exterior’ of the property and ‘keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity, and for sanitation, space heating and heating water. The landlord cannot make the tenant responsible for these repairs.

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015

Working alarms save lives – in the event of a fire in your home you are at least four times more likely to die if there is no working smoke alarm. The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 have been approved by parliament and will come into force as planned on 1 October 2015. Private sector landlords are required from 1 October 2015 to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their properties and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (e.g. a coal fire, wood burning stove). After that, the landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy. The requirements will be enforced by local authorities who can impose a fine of up to £5,000 where a landlord fails to comply with a remedial notice.

Energy Performance Certificates

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is:
o built
o sold
o rented
You must order an EPC for potential buyers and tenants before you market your property to sell or rent.
In Scotland, you must display the EPC somewhere in the property, eg in the meter cupboard or next to the boiler.
An EPC contains:
o information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs
o recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money
An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.

Legionella Health and Safety Act 1974

If you are someone in control of premises, including landlords, you must understand the health risks associated with legionella. This section can help you to control any risks.
Duties under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 (HSWA) extend to risks from legionella bacteria, which may arise from work activities. The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations (MHSWR) provide a broad framework for controlling health and safety at work. More specifically, the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH) provide a framework of actions designed to assess, prevent or control the risk from bacteria like Legionella and take suitable precautions. The Approved Code of Practice: Legionnaires’ disease: The control of Legionella bacteria in water systems (L8) contains practical guidance on how to manage and control the risks in your system.
As an employer, or a person in control of the premises, you are responsible for health and safety and need to take the right precautions to reduce the risks of exposure to Legionella. You must understand how to:
• identify and assess sources of risk
• manage any risks
• prevent or control any risks
• keep and maintain the correct records
• carry out any other duties you may have